Monday 15 December 2014

Common mistakes in the use of nouns

In this lesson, we will take a look at some common mistakes in the use of nouns.

Incorrect: There is no place on this bus.

Correct: There is no room on this bus.
Incorrect: I am learning a new poetry.
Correct: I am learning a new poem.
Poetry means poems collectively.

Incorrect: He is leaving his service.
Correct: He is leaving his job.

Incorrect: All of my relations are poor.
Correct: All of my relatives are poor.

Incorrect: The clock has struck five hours.
Correct: The clock has struck five.

Incorrect: The boarding is full.
Correct: The boarding house is full.

Incorrect: I saw two females in the store.
Correct: I saw two women in the store.

Incorrect: He enquired about your state of health.
Correct: He enquired about the state of your health.

Incorrect: My English is very weak.
Correct: I am very weak in English.

Incorrect: The weather of Chennai does not suit me.
Correct: The climate of Chennai does not suit me.

Incorrect: Why are you standing in the center of the street?
Correct: Why are you standing in the middle of the street?

Incorrect: I visit them once in a week.
Correct: I visit them once a week.

Incorrect: Her hairs are grey.
Correct: Her hair is grey.

Incorrect: I bought two dozens pencils.
Correct: I bought two dozen pencils.

Incorrect: He took insult at this.
Correct: He took offence at this.

Incorrect: He put your sign here.
Correct: He put your signature here.

No comments: