Tuesday 16 December 2014

Common mistakes in the use of pronouns

In this article we will take a look at some common mistakes in the use of pronouns.

Incorrect: Each of these boys play cricket well.
Correct: Each of these boys plays cricket well.

Incorrect: Each of these three roads lead to the railway station.
Correct: Each of these three roads leads to the railway station.

After each of we use a plural noun or pronoun and a singular verb.

Incorrect: Both didn’t go.
Correct: Neither went.

In negative sentences we do not normally use both. Instead, we use neither.

Incorrect: We all did not go.
Correct: None of us went.

In negative sentences we do not normally use all. Instead, we use none.

Incorrect: Each boy and each girl were given a book.
Correct: Each boy and each girl was given a book.

Incorrect: Have you got a pen? I haven’t got.
Correct: Have you got a pen? I haven’t got one.

The verb get needs to be followed by an object.

Incorrect: My all books are lost.
Correct: All of my books are lost.

Incorrect: Let I go.
Correct: Let me go.

Incorrect: Let we move.
Correct: Let us move.

Let is a verb. It should be followed by a pronoun in object form.

Incorrect: Your problem is bigger than me.
Correct: Your problem is bigger than mine.
Correct: Your problem is bigger than my problem.

Incorrect: Whoever does best he will get a prize.
Correct: Whoever does best will get a prize.

Incorrect: I and he are brothers.
Correct: He and I are brothers.

Incorrect: I and Mark are friends.
Correct: Mark and I are friends.

Pronouns should go in the proper order – the person spoken to, first; the person spoken of, second and the speaker, third.

No comments: