Monday 15 December 2014

FUTURE SIMPLE

Basic form
 Subject + WILL + Verb (present form)

Quick examples
  • I will clean up my room. I promise!
  • The telephone is ringing. I will pick it up!
  • I think it will rain.
  • He will stay there for hours, doing nothing.
The Future Simple is used in many situations such as when making promises or predictions.
USES
  1. Promises
  2. Unplanned actions
  3. Predictions based on experience or intuition
  4. Habits (obstinate insistence, usually habitual)
Going toYou can also use going to to express future. We use it to express predictions based on observing the present situation:
  • It's going to rain. Look at the clouds!
Read More
Use 1: Promises
The first use of the Future Simple to make promises.
  • I promise I will buy you this toy.
  • Promise you will never leave me!
Use 2: Unplanned actions
Use this tense also to talk about unplanned (spontaneous) decisions.
  • Don't worry! I will help you with this problem.
  • I will close the window. It's starting to rain.
Use 3: Predictions
We often use the Future Simple when making a prediction based on experience or intuition.
  • It will rain in a moment.
  • It will get more difficult.
Use 4: Habits
The last use of this tense is interesting: we can also use the Future Simple to express habits.
  • She will bit her lip if she is thinking or if she's nervous about something.
  • He will always make noise when we are sleeping.
Shall
 You can also use shall to express future in Future Simple. It is more formal than will, and usually appears in formal speeches, agreements or guarantees.

Examples:
  • The guarantee shall be provided on the following conditions: (...)
  • We shall never surrender!

No comments: