Wednesday 10 December 2014

Homophones - Same pronunciation different meaning

Homophones are words that have a different spelling, different meaning but the same pronunciation.

For example:
I went to the sea to see my friend.
The words sea and see have the same pronunciation but different meanings and spellings.


Homophone Examples
Buy/By
Buy her a present for her birthday.She lives by a park.

Hole/Whole
There's a hole in my trousers.I read the whole book in one day.

Write/Right
Write your name on top of the test paper.I couldn't remember the right answer.



Note on Homonyms
Homonyms are words that have the same spelling and pronunciation but may have different meanings. For example, book and show are homonyms.
I am reading a good book at the moment.We should book our train tickets before the price goes up.
Show John where the bathroom is.Did you enjoy the magic show?

No comments: