Thursday 18 December 2014

As, though and although

The conjunctions though and although are usually interchangeable. However, in some cases, only ‘though’ is possible. After some adjectives and adverbs, as and though can be used with similar meanings.

See if you can use these conjunctions correctly.

1. Hot ………………….. it was, we decided to go out.
a) as
b) though
c) although
d) Either ‘as’ or ‘though’

2. …………………… she was not ready, we went without her.
a) As
b) Though
c) Although

3. Bravely …………………. we fought, we had little chance of winning.
a) as
b) though
c) although

d) Either ‘as’ or ‘though’
4. ……………………. it might seem, she doesn’t like babies.
a) Though strange
b) Strange though
c) Although strange
d) Strange although

5. I can’t come and spend the weekend with you, ……………….. I would like to.
a) as much
b) much as
c) although
d) Either ‘much as’ or ‘although’

6. ………………….. I didn’t know anybody at the party, I had a nice time.
a) Though
b) Although
c) As
d) Either ‘though’ or ‘although’

7. ………………………… I was tired, I decided to get some rest.
a) As
b) Though
c) Although

8. ………………………. I was ill for several months, I lost my job.
a) As
b) Though
c) Although

9. We decided to go out ……………………. it was a bit late.
a) though
b) although
c) Either could be used here

10. ‘Lovely evening.’ ‘Yes. Bit cold, …………………’
a) though
b) although
c) Either could be used here


























Answers

1. Hot as/though it was, we decided to go out.
2. As she was not ready, we went without her.
3. Bravely as / though we fought, we had little chance of winning.
4. Strange though it might seem, she doesn’t like babies.
5. I can’t come and spend the weekend with you, much as / although I would like to.
6. Though / although I didn’t know anybody at the party, I had a nice time.
7. As I was tired, I decided to get some rest.
8. As I was ill for several months, I lost my job.
9. We decided to go out though / although it was a bit late.
10. ‘Lovely evening.’ ‘Yes. Bit cold, though.

No comments: