Monday 29 December 2014

Conjunctions exercise

Complete the following sentences using appropriate conjunctions.

1. The car is running more smoothly ……………………….. it had a service. (since / for)
2. ……………………….. Mike is married, he is much more responsible. (now that / such that)
3. I haven’t settled the question of …………………… I’ll go back home. (whether / if)
4. They held the meeting on a holiday …………………….. everyone would be free to attend. (in order that / in order for)
5.  …………………………….. she hadn't prepared for the presentation, she did a commendable job. (as / although)
6. …………………….. I told you earlier, the meeting has been postponed. (as / like)
7. My doctor told me to avoid fatty foods ………………………….. burgers and cheese. (as / such as)
8. It was …………………………… a loud noise …………………….. to wake everybody in the whole neighbourhood. (such…as / so…that)
9. ………………………… much he eats, he never gets fat. (whatever / however)
10. He accepted the challenge ………………………… he had been waiting for it. (as though / though)





























Answers

1. The car is running more smoothly since it had a service.
2. Now that Mike is married, he is much more responsible.
3. I haven’t settled the question of whether I’ll go back home.
4. They held the meeting on a holiday in order that everyone would be free to attend.
5.  Although she hadn't prepared for the presentation, she did a commendable job.
6. As I told you earlier, the meeting has been postponed.
7. My doctor told me to avoid fatty foods such as burgers and cheese.
8. It was such a loud noise as to wake everybody in the whole neighbourhood.
9. However much he eats, he never gets fat.
10. He accepted the challenge as though he had been waiting for it.

No comments: